Font 'Monotype Corsiva'
dw2004
2005-05-10 20:43:40 UTC
I have a client that would like to use the font 'Monotype Corsiva' . No I
appreciate that this is probably risky but I popped this into a style sheet
for a test in FF and IE6 and I was amazed that it displayed in the browser
ok. So I wonder what is the general advice regarding this particular font,
is it safe to use or should I just stick with the ones that are already set
within DW2004.
Thanks for any advice

Brian
Tim Gallant
2005-05-10 20:59:28 UTC
Post by dw2004
I have a client that would like to use the font 'Monotype Corsiva' . No I
appreciate that this is probably risky but I popped this into a style sheet
for a test in FF and IE6 and I was amazed that it displayed in the browser
ok. So I wonder what is the general advice regarding this particular font,
is it safe to use or should I just stick with the ones that are already set
within DW2004.
If you popped it in the style sheet, and you have the font installed on your
computer, yes, the font would display. But it won't display as that font on
anyone's computer who doesn't have it installed.

Truth be told, you can specify any font you want, as long as you give
alternatives in the style sheet. But I wouldn't recommend it, because you're
not going to be seeing what most people are seeing.

tim
--
Tim Gallant
http://www.pactumgroup.com

Basic tutorials: http://www.pactumgroup.com/tutorials/
Techblog: http://www.pactumgroup.com/techblog
******************
dw2004
2005-05-10 22:05:17 UTC
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your reply.

"If you popped it in the style sheet, and you have the font installed on
your computer, yes, the font would display. "

Yeah this is why I asked because I didn't specifically install this font
myself and this is also why I was surprised when I viewed it in FF Opera N7
and IE it showed up. I wondered if this was a standard font already
installed in these browsers but maybe it would not be there in older ones.

Thanks again for your help.
Brian
******************
Tim Gallant
2005-05-11 00:00:09 UTC
Post by dw2004
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your reply.
"If you popped it in the style sheet, and you have the font installed on
your computer, yes, the font would display. "
Yeah this is why I asked because I didn't specifically install this font
myself and this is also why I was surprised when I viewed it in FF Opera
N7 and IE it showed up. I wondered if this was a standard font already
installed in these browsers but maybe it would not be there in older ones.
The *text* will show up. But you are not seeing the font in question.

tim

******************
Anthony Bollinger
2005-05-11 12:02:41 UTC
Post by dw2004
Yeah this is why I asked because I didn't specifically install this font
myself and this is also why I was surprised when I viewed it in FF Opera
N7 and IE it showed up. I wondered if this was a standard font already
installed in these browsers but maybe it would not be there in older ones.
Fonts are not installed in browsers. They are installed in operating
systems and so users either have them or they do not. It does not matter at
all whether the browser is current or ancient. It only matters if the font
is installed in your OS. In your case, if you saw the font correctly, then
you have it installed. Others may not.

Tony
Joe Makowiec
2005-05-10 22:29:40 UTC
Post by dw2004
I have a client that would like to use the font 'Monotype Corsiva' .
No I appreciate that this is probably risky but I popped this into a
style sheet for a test in FF and IE6 and I was amazed that it
displayed in the browser ok. So I wonder what is the general advice
regarding this particular font, is it safe to use or should I just
stick with the ones that are already set within DW2004.
I just checked my (fairly stock) XP Pro system, and it's on it. However,
if I don't have it, the site will display in either the next font you
specify in CSS, or in the browser's default font. In either case, the site
will <ahem /> not look as intended.

What to do (ie client education): explain this to the client. Then offer
to do some headings, maybe some headlines, in Monotype Corsiva.

This is just a guess, and my opinion, but a page full of Monotype Corsiva
would be hard on the eyes.
Joe Makowiec
2005-05-10 23:04:56 UTC
On Tue 10 May 2005 06:29:40p, Joe Makowiec wrote in
Post by Joe Makowiec
What to do (ie client education): explain this to the client. Then
offer to do some headings, maybe some headlines, in Monotype Corsiva.
Should read:

offer to do some headings, maybe some headlines, [as images] in Monotype
Corsiva.
dw2004
2005-05-11 09:50:23 UTC
Thanks for you help on this. I agree that a whole site using this font would
basically be a no no. I was just curious as a developer what the situation
was regarding this font as I was quite surprised to see it display in the
browsers.
Anyway thanks again and I'll take everything on board you all say.
Brian
Joe Makowiec
2005-05-11 10:41:05 UTC
Post by Joe Makowiec
I just checked my (fairly stock) XP Pro system, and it's on it.
For What It's Worth: it's not on my home machine. The difference between
the two is Microsoft Office, so Monotype Corsiva probably comes with
Office.
--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.net/
Email: http://makowiec.net/email.php
Sergej Prokofiev
2005-05-14 03:47:40 UTC
Any special font should be laid out in Fireworks or another image
editor and imported into the site as an image. This will avoid your
layout to be messed up on users' computers who do not have the font
you're using.

Best,

Sofie

PS. I did just that with www.woosterymca.org. The headline font is
Comix, but I dropped it in as pictures. The font used on
www.coiltek.com is BankGothic. All dropped in as pictures.